[ale] Recommended Linux newbie sites?

Jerald Sheets jsheets at yahoo.com
Thu May 13 14:30:23 EDT 2004

My favorite set of books to start newbies on has been the Craig Hunt
library.

If they're coming from the Windows world, the fillowing book is
paramount for them:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0782141196/qid=1084471504/
sr=1-7/ref=sr_1_7/102-9259772-5083347?v=glance&s=books

It is "Linux Administration for Windows Server Administrators" and was
written by an old hand Mark Minasi.

The thing I like about Hunt's library is that everything is well laid
out, easy to understand, and gives a topic-by-topic breakdown of each
subject covered.  I mean, can you remember the first time you needed to
know something about BIND, and cracking open the Oreilley on BIND?  I
was overwhelmed!

The Hunt library starts from square one, and assumes you know nothing.
It takes you through the most advanced topics in a systematic format,
and when you're done, you know what you're doing at a very detailed
level.  This is when you're ready to use the Oreilley.

I have all but two of his books and am nothing but pleased with them.

--JMS