[ale] Booting from Promise Ultra133 TX2

Robert Story rstory-l at revelstone.com
Wed May 12 20:09:57 EDT 2004

On Wed, 12 May 2004 08:09:48 -0400 (EDT) John wrote:
JW> The drive and controller work perfectly if I boot up with Knoppix...i.e.,
JW> I can mount, read and write the partitions.
JW>
JW> After a bios update, I was able to select "SCSI" as a boot option and it
JW> now tries to boot from the drive on the promise controller (/dev/hde).
JW> However, after selecting the proper kernel from grub, the system
JW> *immediately* resets and goes back to post, as if a power failure.

Have you updated the grub conf file, and re-run grub-install?  If you moved
the drive to a different controller since the initial install, the drive
specifications in grub will be off. (Grub uses it's own numbering scheme, not
/dev/XXX). In particular, there will be a line like:

        root (hd0,0)

which is equivalent to /dev/hda1. So if your root partition (under knoppix,
hooked up to new controller) as/dev/hdb2, try updating it to

	root (hd1,1)

and re-running grub-install. Make sure you explicity set the path to grub.conf,
or it might not use the one you think it will..