[ale] Getting around blocking software

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Mon May 10 19:37:12 EDT 2004

Ryan Williams wrote:
>> Then configure her browser to use localhost as a SOCKSv4 proxy.  This
>> assumes, of course, that outbound ssh connections aren't blocked.
>>
>> Also make sure you know what her office security policy is.  It would
>> really suck for her to get fired for unauthorized computer use.
>

> Even if SSH isn't blocked, I know they would freak out if she were found
> using SSH. I was hoping for a way to have her just access it via http or
> https... just mask the domain/IP from their filters for this one
> particular website.

If they'd freak if they found her using ssh, what do you think they
would do if she attempted to 'mask' the ip as you've suggested.  I think
you're walking a very thin line here.  Is it worth the risk?  Ask them
to permit the access if it's harmless enough.  It is her employer, so
it's their final word.