[ale] TV tuner card problem

ChangingLINKS.com groups at ChangingLINKS.com
Sat May 8 00:41:59 EDT 2004

I appreciate your help.
Unfortunately, I got to "recompiling the kernel" per the directions at:
http://ivtv.writeme.ch/tiki-index.php?page=Suse82HowTo

and got to this line:
make bzImage

and it started asking me MANY questions that I don't know the answer to. My
guess is that if I answered these questions, I would answer wrong and wreck
my box. Further, I am thinking there MUST be an easier way. Each time I
install Suse, will I be confronted with recompiling the kernel just to get a
component to work? That's not why I moved to Suse and left Nvidia cards.

Is there anyway to make the computer answer the questions automatically, by
looking at how it is already installed? Are all TV cards such a pain? I heard
that it is a nice card from several sources, but I would settle for a
similiar card that is recognized by Suse automatically. Having to do this
much work each time I reinstall would definately not work. I MUST be missing
something - I heard rumors that the Hauppauge cards were fully supported and
compatible with Linux (and even plug and play).

Did I buy the wrong Hauppauge card to get the "ease of use" benefit?

On Friday 07 May 2004 21:45, you wrote:
> ChangingLINKS.com said:
> > Questions:
> > 1. Can anyone recommend a nice *hardware* TV tuner card that will be auto
> > detected in Suse (8.2-9.1)?
> > 2. Should I stick with the Hauppauge WinTV-250 PVR?
>
> Yes...I have a PVR-250 and PVR-350 and they work great.
>
> > 3. Where can I get bttv?
>
> Look at ivtv instead....http://ivtv.sf.net.  That'll get you going.

Drew Brown
http://www.ChangingLINKS.com