[ale] Re: Suse 9.1 Pro posted to tux.org, please be considerate!!

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Thu May 6 16:03:42 EDT 2004

On Thu, 6 May 2004, Geoffrey wrote:

> > The main change is that SuSE's now finally actually open source, so
> > people can legally redistribute ISOs. Whether SuSE^WNovell finds they
> > spend more than they make by doing that (like Red Hat did) remains to
> > be seen ;-)
>
> Have you any references that indicate SuSE intends this?  I'm curious
> because I find there are apparently two diverse 'opinions' coming from
> Novell/SuSE.

I think they're still figuring it out ;-). The SUSE ftp site still says they
don't provide ISOs for Intel/AMD/PPC, for example, even though I've heard at
least once from SUSE that won't be true for 9.1. Long-term, I gather it'll
shake down to Professional being downloadable, and Desktop / Enterprise not
being downloadable.....

later,
cchris