[ale] Fw: [ale-admin] Help! Need assistance

Michael Still michaelstill at tmail.com
Mon May 3 12:50:47 EDT 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: Glenn Roy <glenn at popadmedia.com>
To: admin at ale.org
Subject: [ale-admin] Help!  Need assistance
Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 10:20:30 -0400

I am very, very new at Linux and feel my learning curve could be very
detrimental to our small company.  We have 2 Linux boxes that are used
interlace files that we use for lenticular advertising.  Well, these
boxes
have never been backed up and my greatest fear is that both these boxes
crash and burn at once.  In fact one box right now is down.  On boot up
it
comes up with an error on hda5 and wants to run fsck.  Unfortunately
the
artist who uses these boxes either does not have the correct password
or
there is something wrong with the keyboard.  If these computers go
kaput,
then we just need to pack up.  Our business will not run without this
program.  What I am looking for is someone in the Marietta area who
could
make a house call, run fsck, configure a monitor and provide us with
step by
step backup instructions.  We would like to know if these programs could
be
laid down on a new OS and how.  Is the entire program in its directory
or is
it octopussed like windows programs?  I believe we have the right
equipment
to perform backup just not the knowledge.  We are more than willing to
pay
for this service.  I have contacted many computer places, but none know
Linux or are willing to make house calls.  If you could suggest a
solution
or know of anyone that can perform minor maintenance we would appreciate
it.

I can be reached at crazyboyroy at msn.com or at the numbers below.  Thank
you
very much for any assistance