[ale] Clear BIOS Password - Dell Optiplex?

BruceG griffisb at bellsouth.net
Sat May 1 15:38:45 EDT 2004

Hey all,

   I purchased a used Dell Optiplex to set up as a proxy server. 128Meg RAM,
Celeron 600Mhz. I go into BIOS to set it to boot from CD, and am asked for a
password. Seems I can't make it boot from CD w/out messing w/ BIOS, and
without the password - no luck. I tried "phoenix" (supposedly a standard
password for phoenix bios boards  nope!). Also tried going into debug and
clearing the registers. Nope.

   So, if you know how to clear the bios password without getting too
involved, please let me know - either off-list or on (don't know if we want
that detail on the list or not). Otherwise, I'll be returning the box come
Monday. I already called the place I purchased it from, they got it
off-lease, and do not know the bios password.