[ale] Do I need a patch cable?

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Tue Mar 30 20:04:49 EST 2004

Trey Sizemore wrote:

> And just so I have my vernacular correct, is the cable I'm using now
> to go from my desktop NIC to my Netgear router a patch cable,
> crossover cable, ...?

The cable that goes from a computer to a switch/hub is not a crossover
cable.  Machine to machine is a crossover cable.

When you go from a switch/hub to a switch/hub, it depends.  Many
switch/hubs have an uplink port which does the crossover for you.
Other's are smart and crossover when they detect the signal.

To really confuse things, you can use a crossover cable to connect a
computer to the uplink port of a switch.