[ale] New Media Linux on Boot CD distro

aaron aaron at pd.org
Sun Mar 21 12:38:26 EST 2004

This just came to my attention through another list:
http://www.dynebolic.org/

Sounds kind of like Knoppix with a Media Production focus. The "instant
clustering" and "modded eXcrement Box" options are interesting as well.

I'm burning a 1.2 version CD from a download ISO as I type this. Will report
this week on how it handles in my preliminary test drives.

In the meanwhile, here's a snippet of their "Features" list ....

=====================
Dyne:bolic GNU/Linux is a live bootable distribution, an operating system
which works directly from the CD without the need to install or change
anything on the hard disk. It is user- friendly, recognizes your hardware
devices (sound, video, firewire, and USB), and offers a vast range of
software for multimedia production, streaming, 3D modeling, photo,
peer-to-peer filesharing, Web browsing and publishing, word processing,
email, encryption, and networking. It also includes games and a world
navigator. It does automatic clustering, joining the CPU power between any
other dyne:bolic on the local network, and works on modded XBOX consoles as
well.

Surf, stream, edit, encode and broadcast both sound and video, all just in one
CD you have simply to boot.

Dyne:bolic 1.0 it is shaped on the needs of media activists to eager the
production of informations, realizing a full multimedia studio. It takes
birth as a grassroot effort to spread free software and the spirit of sharing
informations.

Some interesting features:
--user friendly and intuitive
--no install, partitioning or change data on harddisk:
   it will work even if you have Micro$oft Winblows
   [ed: their wording]
--automatic hardware recognition and configuration:
   network cards, sound cards, BTTV video cards...
--all your harddisks are mounted and fully accessible
--focuses on efficient audio/video multimedia production
--works on old pentium1 as well on XBOX game console
--can save your data and settings in one encrypted file
   on your harddisk or usb storage device (nesting)
--does automatic clustering with other dyne:bolic on the
   net, joining the CPU power of multiple computers