[ale] Low-end tapedrives for SOHO environment

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Fri Mar 19 17:04:25 EST 2004

My $0.02

Tapes are cheap, slow, and very reliable if rotated properly.

The removable HD is a great scenario for the SOHO crowd.

It is possible to install rsync onto a windows machine (use cygwin) and
then the back up of windows stuff gets _real_ easy (rsync the change
files over and drop them onto what ever storage you want)

The removable HD can be a USB mounted laptop drive. They are a bit more
rugged on the movement aspect than desktop drives. But they are slower.

A really low cost, rugged solution is the following:

Old PC with 4 drives, one small for the OS, the other 3 are newer, large
drives for the backup. One removable drive slot and 2 caddies. One large
drive is permanently mounted while the other 2 are rotated. The
permanent and the removable are in a software RAID 1 (mirror) setup. Put
the OS drive and the permanent drive on IDE0 and the removable and the
CD on IDE1.

Now there is a way to make the backups (rsync or even scripted samba
mount) to the drive array. One copy local for restores, one copy for
off-site. Use separate directories for each machine.

If a caddied HD fails, no problem, there is a mirror. Unmount the array,
stop the MD devices, replace the HD, restart the array and the mirror
will heal. This will allow backups even if the removable drive is not
on-site at the time. When it gets installed later, it will get caught
up.

Old machine, $200 (includes CD and OS drive), 3 120G HD $400, drive
caddies $40, piece of mind $priceless.