[ale] Low-end tapedrives for SOHO environment

griffisb at bellsouth.net griffisb at bellsouth.net
Fri Mar 19 16:44:38 EST 2004

> I'd really like to hear a valid reason for a FULL backup.  It's just not
> necessary.  Backup your critical data, and as someone else noted, a
> cdrom, or even better dvd should be plenty for such purposes.

You're probably right. For home use, burning /home to CD for my SuSE and RH boxes, and My Documents for Win boxes should work fine. For the church I would need to backup the records database, payroll database, and any written info (if kept in My Documents - that should cover it).

Full backups sound like a good thing as far as recovering from the inevitable power surges and occasional fried disks is concerned. But with a good hardware/software inventory and assuming original CD's are stored safely - PCs could be rebuilt and apps. reloaded.