[ale] re replace monitor

bo bo ale_atl at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 19 06:09:39 EST 2004

> How do I get Fedora to see replacement monitor?
>
> This evening my Mitsubishi 17FS monitor expired. The
> only temp monitor I have is a Packard Bell Model
> PB2160
>
> On boot, everything runs OK, I see the normal script
> as Fedora loads, and just when normally the gui
>loads,
> the screen blacks out, while the machine runs fine.
>As I imagine the logon and password prompt (but
cannot
> see at this point) I can type in name / pwd, and
hear
> the machine activity, as it normally would.
>
> Q: How can I force the machine (Fedora-core 1) to
> recognize the replacement monitor?
>
> Other info:
> mobo- Asus A7N8X-D
>
> many thanks in advance,
>
> Chris

Many thanks for all your suggestions - I'm back in
business w/ a new 19" Samsung monitor for $170!

This is how I did it -

"After bootup press "Strg+Alt+F1" to switch from X
mode into console 1,
then type "init 3". This stops the X server.

Now edit /etc/X11/XF86Config and change the monitor
data. You need to set the proper values for HorizSync
and VertRefresh. If you have no data sheet please use
google to find them out. After done the change run
"init 5" and you should see X back again with
wonderful colors.

Alexander"

[http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/\
2004-March/msg03217.html]

It's worth noting that Fedora did not initially like
the numbers I entered in the Config file, so launched
a gui config app. to succesfully detect the monitor.

thanks,