[ale] Samba on SuSE 8.2 Personal

griffisb at bellsouth.net griffisb at bellsouth.net
Tue Mar 16 16:39:14 EST 2004

Hey all,

      I'm running SuSE 8.2 Personal on my desktop, and noticed that it does not come with
Samba. I downloaded Samba from the SuSE website, and can manually start it (smbd start,
nmbd start). After manually starting it, I can share disks and printers. Already did the smbpasswd
-a deal (or whatever the command is).

      Problem is, I want to automagically backup my WinXP and Win2K laptops to my Samba
share. How do I go about adding smbd start and nmbd start to a startup script in case my kids
boot the desktop? If I opt for SuSE Professional, I'm assuming Samba is part of the package and
has all the scripts built in. Is that correct?

      I'd like to get this working at home, then come up with something similar for church.
Automagically back up each Win98 and WinXP PC to a Samba server, then once a week copy
from the Samba server to an external harddisk (USB mounted? Might take forever) - and store
the disk in a vault.

      Is that what you would do for a Windows environment? I looked at Rsynch, but want to come
up with a solution I could easily teach someone on staff to handle. As a side note, I'm running
802.11B Wireless between floors at home. Didn't want to run a cable. A kicked off a full backup of
my Win2K laptop and came up with a 6.5 hour estimate. I moved my laptop upstairs, connected it
to a 10/100 Switch, and the backup is 1.5 hours. Guess you guys that recommended running a
cable were right.

Bruce