[ale] Quick LInux Quiz

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Mon Mar 15 17:28:54 EST 2004

On Mon, Mar 15, 2004 at 05:13:42PM -0500, Michael D. Hirsch wrote:
> Quick!  What is the effect of "cd //"?  I sure guessed wrong.

Weird, it's not what I expected either:

jday:spiderman$ cd //
jday:spiderman$ pwd
//
jday:spiderman$ cd ///
jday:spiderman$ pwd
/
jday:spiderman$ cd ////
jday:spiderman$ pwd
/

I get the same results in gentoo, debian stable, and debian unstable,
different versions of bash on each.  Other than pwd showing '//', it
still behaves as though it's the root directory.  Same for things like
//home, //usr, etc.

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9