[ale] tools: screen

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Thu Mar 11 22:14:43 EST 2004

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004, Dylan Northrup wrote:

> I've had issues the past couple of days copying large files over a slow
> link.  The problem isn't necessarily the link itself, but my ssh sessions
> into the source box keep getting disconnected (VPNs that don't let me set a
> default password for a physically secure machine irritate me).  I stated
> screen on the source machine, started the scp and detached the screen.  Come
> back several hours later and the copy's completed (after several botched
> attempts).

Along the same lines, we use sidekicks for backup (say, you're out at dinner
with your wife and your cell goes off) connectivity to our servers, since
T-Mobile is our cell provider. The java SSH applet (Terminal Monkey) on the
sidekick becomes much more practical if you use screen with it, since
terminal monkey (and the other ssh-over-cell apps I've used in the past on
other platforms) tend to have fragile connections that drop when you get
incoming calls, etc....

later,
chris