[ale] J2EE vs PHP

Benjamin Scherrey scherrey at proteus-tech.com
Thu Mar 11 13:51:09 EST 2004

Chris,

	PHP, despite its new OO features and continual expansion, is simply a great
tool for building websites that can be defined generally as a set of
templates that you transform via search/replace or apply xml-type operations
on. The tool is primarily a template parser with some nice intermixing
features. If that covers 90% of the functionality you're trying to achieve
its hard to argue against it cause it does it fast, well, cheap, and easily.
I've written many a quick website with the php online docs sitting there on
an open web page (probably the best open source online doc of all times).
Connected to various databases, performed image manipulations, even sucked
data out of another website - all at runtime. Its so sexy and seductive when
you get something running easy - but it don't scale. Make sure you can commit
to it before you get too involved... haha.

	However, if you need middle-ware or backend processes staying live and are
trying to architect an environment that just happens to use the web for its
primary user-interface, PHP is not the way to go. J2EE is certainly an option
although the initial cost to get anything running that is going to be
scalable and supportable is very high. Perl is simply not maintainable for
anything that PHP wouldn't be better suited for unless you're just really
into the language. My strong recommendation, if you can't afford or prefer
not to pay the initial costs of getting a Java system going, is to check out
Python with Quixote. In not much more time than it would take to get a PHP
system going, you can have a full OO system architecture started and
demonstrable. Python provides just about everything that Java initially
promised but is far less verbose and was allowed to age and expand more
gracefully. I literally picked up the book with online docs and had a
complete web-based server app running in under 72 hours with no previous
python experience. With Medusa (which I believe is now included in Quixote or
at least well integrated) you don't even need a webserver and it runs under
any typical platform out there without a single code change. Hard to beat.

	Good luck & best regards,

		Ben Scherrey

PS: One warning, the #python guys on free-net irc are complete jerks to
newbies. Prepare to be flamed if you don't ask the right question there. An
entire new group, #py, was formed as a result of their attitudes and agendas
but it is, alas, less well traffiked. FWIW - they are not at all
representative of the pythong community as a whole who are generally
extremely friendly and helpful.