[ale] [WAY OT]Putting a motor on a rocking chair

Jonathan Glass IBB jonathan.glass at ibb.gatech.edu
Sat Mar 6 22:59:31 EST 2004

I know this is an odd thing to do, but rocking my 2 kids to sleep every
night is getting old, and my wife is a very petite person.  I was
thinking of putting a motor on the chair to give her a little 'assist'
in the rocking process.  I have a traditional rocking chair and a
glider-rocker.  Anyone thought about this before?  Anyone think I'm
totally nuts?  ...Me too.

Small DC motor mounted to the stable part of the frame.  I wonder if I
could have the motor turn halfway, to raise the front of the chair, then
reverse the current so it returns to its starting point.  Hmm...

Any engineers want to throw in their opinion, before I turn my wife's
rocking chair into 'old sparky'?  :)

Thanks

Jonathan G.