[ale] Hardware probs(was Need Help w/Debian Sarge...)

Jim Seymour bluejay at speedfactory.net
Sat Mar 6 19:26:37 EST 2004

On Sat, Mar 06, 2004 at 05:07:41PM -0500, Geoffrey wrote:

> Did you check the bios to see what speed the memory's running at?  You
> should be able to clock it down to 333 and you'll be good.

Okay we may be getting warm here :-) Most of the settings are set to
auto in the BIOS. But I did just change one of them with a positive
result. For "CPU External Frequency" I have a choice of 100, 133, 166 or
200. I had it set to 200 originally and the BIOS reported it as
2300mhz processor.  Well out of curiosity I dropped it down to 166 and
now the processor is reported as an Athalon XP 2600+ by the BIOS.
Selected entries from dmesg below:

Detecting 1913.202 MHz processor
snip
Calibrating delay loop....3814.19 BogoMIPS
snip
CPU: AMD Athalon(tm) XP 2600+  stepping00
snip
Host bus clock speed 332.7411

Looks better here. I'll see if the memtest86 brings it down before
trying to install the Radeon drivers.

Thanks,

Jim Seymour