[ale] Procmailrc question

Stephan Uphoff ups at tree.com
Sun Jun 27 10:56:00 EDT 2004

> I need to add a rule to procmail rc that will place everything
> not to cfowler, linux, or ebay @linuxiceberg.com to the bit bucket.  I'm
> the catch all for my domain and I'm getting a ton of spam.

I used to do this - but always found it highly irritating.

If you are lucky then your email provider added a header to your email
with the real destination address(es).

Otherwise your only chance is to filter on "To and CC Headers" - and this
will not work for mailing lists and other "odd" emails.

Fon nmh style mail handling:

RCVSTORE=/path/to/rcvstore

:0
* ^To:.*my_emailaddress_1
|$RCVSTORE +myinbox_1

:0
* ^Cc:.*my_emailaddress_1
|$RCVSTORE +myinbox_1

... other boxes .....

:0
|$RCVSTORE +spam

Really, really ugly - and you have to scan the spam folder from time to time
to make sure that the "odd" email did not accidently make it to the spam
folder.

I would really recommend getting rid of the catch all ... there are plenty of
email only providers allowing you multiple boxes for multiple domains with
reasonable prices.

	Stephan