[ale] close to home

Dan Newcombe Newcombe at mordor.clayton.edu
Fri Jan 30 08:46:22 EST 2004

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004, Jim Popovitch wrote:
> Perhaps this is closer to home than we all realize.  That is, perhaps it
> is closer to Linux than Atlanta.  Is this an attempt by someone at UGA
> to test/show Linux as being hackable?

I doubt it...it's more an example of not having enough time or staff to do
a job properly at institutions, not matter their size.  An inexperienced
admin, perhaps someone new at it.

Sometimes people that are not used to running production systems start
doing it without thinking of all consquences.  What works great on your
private network doesn't translate well to outside.

I'm really curious as to if the break in came from inside or outside the
campus.  Haven't heard that info yet.

	-Dan