[ale] Indian outsourcing

Cleon cleon42 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 29 15:27:34 EST 2004

--- Stephen Touset <stephen at touset.org> wrote:

> Likewise, it's incredibly easy to decry the practice of outsourcing,
> and
> exaggerate its downsides when you've lost your job to it.

No doubt. But then, it's impossible *not* to exaggerate its downside
when you've lost your flow of income. For the person who's lost his/her
job, that's *everything*. Doubly so in a situation where it's difficult
to find a comparable position.

I don't advocate protectionism; I really don't. (In fact, I tend to
think the offshoring fad is a short-lived phenomenon that's sorting
itself out.) But to simply say "it's probably for the best," well, no,
it's not. Just because the market's done it, that doesn't necessarily
make it a good thing.

If you want to argue that protectionism's a bad thing, fine, I probably
won't disagree with you. But if you want to claim that offshoring is a
GOOD thing, I'm sorry, that's bullocks.

(For the record, I lost one job indirectly to outsourcing, and
currently am in a position where outsourcing is an unlikely
possibility.)

=====
Adam Levenstein                          cleon42 at yahoo.com
http://www.geekpins.com