[ale] Indian outsourcing

ChangingLINKS.com groups at ChangingLINKS.com
Thu Jan 29 12:48:14 EST 2004

Indian Competition by Stephen Touset
http://www.touset.org/blog/archives/2004/01/29/indian_competition/

I'm glad somebody has finally taken a rational stance
(http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/12.02/india.html) on the Indian
outsourcing issue. As Jordi will tell you, I've from the beginning stated
that our current trend towards outsourcing IT is not only inevitable, but
probably for the better, too. It's simple capitalism, folks. It's a perfect
example of the free market at work. Indian programmers are providing a
product, their labor, at a better price/performance efficiency than American
ones are.

Many people blame this trend on companies, but I place the responsibility on
consumers. We continually demand better products at cheaper prices. What most
of us never accounted for is that nature provides a balance--although we may
get those, we lose something else. However, that's not to say we're worse off
than before, or that things will be worse in the future. While we may lose
jobs in the short-term, that's for the better. It's natural selection. Many
people neglect the fact that in this trade-off, we're still receiving a
benefit: lower prices.

There also seems to be a misconception that lost American jobs are gone
forever--this, as well, is untrue. As unemployed laborers become more
numerous, their cost drops. As their cost drops, jobs that were once
unavailable because the cost outweighed the revenues suddenly open up.
Americans will be reabsorbed into the workforce, and will be placed in jobs
that are more effective uses of their labor. Given, pay will probably drop.
That's not a problem, thanks to the equilibrium of the economy. Pay dropped,
but didn't we cover the fact that prices did, too? And if you'll notice, that
implies the valuation of the dollar on the exchange market. When fewer
dollars are buying the same product, that means the dollar is becoming
stronger. In common terms, it's deflation. In reasonable amounts, this is a
Good Thing?.

Americans are often the first ones to criticize a monopoly. Wal-Mart,
Microsoft, and others are evil monopolies, right? Well so was the American
job market. We've for decades charged prices that, on the world market, are
princely sums. I'm not surprised in the least that companies have found a way
to circumvent our monopoly on the product of labor. Once again, competition
is going to take effect. The net result is that we'll be forced to be harder
workers, and probably accept lower wages. Sounds bad, right? Not when you
realize how circular and intertwined a capitalistic economy is. Our lower
wages and better products will benefit companies. They have lower costs and
better products. Thanks to competition that they have to face, that means
they'll lower prices for us. In the end, it translates to better products
being created at roughly the same price.

The worst thing we can possibly do is attempt to combat this change.
Regressive protectionist policies may help in the short-term, but American
consumers' demands will force American companies to find a way around the
restrictions. We thought we had an indefinite monopoly thanks to location and
immigration policies, but computers and the Internet have allowed businesses
to circumvent this limitation. The phrase, "life always finds a way" applies
here, too. But shouldn't we hold out as long as possible? Won't every day we
prevent the outsourcing of jobs allow us to benefit further? In the short
term, probably. On the other hand, the current waves we're feeling throughout
the IT job market are directly proportional to the disparity between the
wages and product quality that Americans and their Indian counterparts
provide. We've insulated ourselves, only to be affected by a larger degree
now that that insulation has faded. Rather than have the changes occur slowly
and naturally, allowing us to adapt at a comfortable pace, we've been
protected for decades, and now are being flung wholly unprepared into the
world market. It's my belief that the longer we continue to insulate
ourselves, the more it will hurt when the inevitable finally occurs.

Drew Brown
http://www.ChangingLINKS.com

Very well written. I feel it is definately worthy of the archives.