[ale] [OT] securing sensitive data

Greg Freemyer freemyer-ml at NorcrossGroup.com
Fri Jan 23 17:02:17 EST 2004

the file level.On Fri, 2004-01-23 at 14:04, Dow Hurst wrote:
> Can you use ACLs in the C2 certified environment to control
> access to files?  The NSA has a Linux that is C2 certified
> now.  I don't know much about ACL's but that seems like one
> option to avoid the encryption at the file level.  You can
> always encrypt the filesystem itself.
> Dow

ACLs are just a better method of doing rwxrw-r-- type permissions.

ie. Without ACLs you can do:
owner        = rwx
owning_group = rw-
other        = r--

With ACLs, you can specify permissions for specific users and groups
bob          = rwx
joe          = ---
admin_group  = rwx
backup_group = rw-

The hard part about ACLs is the inheritance and default settings logic.
(I don't understand it, so don't ask.)

I don't see how ACLs would help with database security.

I don't know anything about the NSA security logic, but I think it made
in into the 2.6.x kernel, so if it useful you don't even have to patch
up kernel yourself.

I doubt if any database that can utilize the NSA logic, but who knows.

If anyone does want to do a encrypted filesystem, an encrypting DM
target for 2.6.x is available.  Supposidly it is likely to get put into
the 2.6.x kernel at some point.  It is included in the unstable DM
series.  They claim it is better than using the loopback approach that
is more typical.

Since encryption/decryption is cpu intensive, I have looked into using
ATA encryption hardware.  It is not too expensive (IIRC less than $200
ea.).  I have bought a couple of brands.  Unfortunately, I need it to
work with 3ware raid cards, and I have not had any success.  They may
work with normal ATA controllers.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer