[ale] any SQL gurus?

Dylan Northrup docx at io.com
Wed Jan 21 10:40:10 EST 2004

A long time ago, (21.01.04), in a galaxy far, far away, Jason Etheridge wrote:

:=Hi guys, this has been driving me nuts and maybe you would enjoy
:=figuring it out. :)
:=
:=I have two tables: TITLE and COPY.  There is a one-to-many relationship
:=between the two; for any given title, there could be many copies.
:=Copies have owners, but titles don't belong to anyone.
:=
:=	table TITLE:
:=		field title_key	PRIMARY KEY
:=		field name	CHAR
:=	table COPY:
:=		field copy_key	PRIMARY KEY
:=		field title_key	FOREIGN KEY
:=		field owner	CHAR
:=
:=However, owners would like a list of what titles they happen to have
:=copies for.  I can do this through brute-force with a programming
:=language, but is there a single SQL query I could use?  Specifically,
:=MySQL (I don't have sub-selects)?
:=
:=I'm sure this is simple and obvious and I'll feel like more of an idiot
:=later.  *8)

I'm not much of a SQL guru, but wouldn't this work:

select t.name from t TITLE, c COPY where c.owner = "whoever" and
	c.title_key = f.title_key;

--
Dylan Northrup <*> docx at io.com <*> http://www.io.com/~docx/
"Harder to work, harder to strive, hard to be glad to be alive, but it's