[ale] recommendations for a easy to configure Linux> compatible 802.11B pcmcia card

Van L. Loggins vloggins at turbocorp.com
Mon Jan 19 06:58:46 EST 2004

> Message: 6
> Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 19:03:40 -0500
> From: Geoffrey <esoteric at 3times25.net>
> Subject: Re: [ale] recommendations for a easy to configure Linux
> 	compatible	802.11B pcmcia card
> To: Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts <ale at ale.org>
>
> But if the card has drivers for older dists, you'd think you should be
> able to get it to work.  I've got a card with the same chipset, but
> haven't spent enough time trying to get it to work.  Although SuSE did
> properly recognize the card, it was not properly configured.

I thought so too, but the modules refuse to work on anything other than the specified kernels, and the included program code
that you can supposedly build a new module with doesn't work. it flips out totally when you attempt to run it. Most likely it has to do with GCC being a different version?

anyway I bid on and won a Orinoco 802.11A and 802.11B combo card (silver connector) off of ebay for 30 bucks plus shipping. I did some
research and the orinoco cards seem to be the most compatible with Linux.

Thanks for the feedback on this topic guys! :)

Van

Van Loggins        vloggins at turbocorp.com
Assistant System Administrator - ESC Dept
Linux User #316727
1-770-532-2239 Extension 9404
Turbo Logistics
http://www.turbocorp.com