[ale] Logitec USB Quickcam questions?

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Sat Jan 17 22:53:56 EST 2004

Robert L. Harris wrote:

>   I just got a Logitech Quickcam, usb.  Anyone know what drivers are
> needed for this and preferably the name of a good program that'll can be
> run via comman line to snap pics and save them to disk?

I've got the same cam.  Works out of the box with SuSE 8.2 and 9.0.
What dist are you running?

The module that's needed is mod_quickcam, you might have it.  I use
xawtv to view when running X and it comes with xawtv-remote which you
can use to take snaps of what xawtv is viewing.  You can also use a
package called 'motion' to do motion detection type capture.

xawtv used to come with something called streamer that you could use to
capture a stream, individual images or a single image.  It did not come
with my latest version of xawtv, but you might search for it.  That's
the only package I've used to do command line capture that doesn't
require X.  Motion will do that, but it's dependent upon motion
detection to initiate the capture.

Of course this is all just a bunch of lies, I made it all up to impress
everyone how I know everything. ;)

Until later, Geoffrey	esoteric at 3times25.net