[ale] OT: DSL with no phone number

Byron A Jeff byron at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Jan 14 07:33:10 EST 2004

On Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 08:48:53PM -0500, Adrin wrote:
> Reminds me of the cable hack.
>
> someone figured out that when you order cable broadband you got a cable
> signal with it.

Yup. I was like that for quite a while.

> Some people put in a special splitter

Filter. It was out on the pole but AT&T pulled it into the house when I got
my cable modem, which needs an unfiltered signal.

> and got free cable.

Yup. To every TV in the house.

>  The Cable companies were not to happy.
> I don't know what ever became of it.

I do. They have the opposite filter that blocks the analog TV signal but lets
the broadband pass through.

But it turns out that the price of the cable modem exactly matches the price
of analog TV + the reduced price on the cable modem (about $57/mo)

BAJ