[ale] Radio-frequency identification (RFID) chips

Doug McNash dmcnash at charter.net
Mon Jan 12 13:07:29 EST 2004

How about this idea.  You know there are some cigar lighters that work
with a piezoelectric mechanism to generate a spark.  I figure the
voltage must be in the range of tens of thousands of volts. The right
coil wired across the gap might produce enough EMP to fry the RFID if
close.

Anyone know EMP physics? I am not a hw engineer.  If workable is would
make a devious little handheld device.

On Mon, 2004-01-12 at 09:48, Dow Hurst wrote:
> You sound like someone that ought run a physics lab!
> Dow
>

> James P. Kinney III wrote:

> >>I agree that a microwave would be easiest.  My tesla coil will do a fine
> >>job but they are non-trivial to buy, steal, or build.  I suspect that
> >>a police radar gun will work up to some distance but I think that they
> >>go for something like $3000.
> >

> > Oudin coil would also likely work. Buy a full spool of #24 enameled wire
> > of around 10k' long. Remove as much of the middle of the spool as
> > possible to make the hole larger. Put in the largest soft iron core you
> > can fit. Flatten a 10' section of 1/4" copper tubing and wrap it around
> > the entire spool. Take care that the copper coils do not touch or
> > separate with paper. connect the ends of the copper pipe to the 120V
> > 60Hz power supply near the circuit breaker. The resulting magnetic field
> > will obliterate radio and tv transmissions for about 2 miles.
> >
> > Hook that up to a tesla coil for some real fun.

> >>Bob

doug mcnash