[ale] Comcast linux...

Byron A Jeff byron at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Jan 6 07:31:42 EST 2004

On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 03:20:48PM -0800, Berlin Brown wrote:

> I almost have my comcast cable modem setup.  I think I just need a primary
> dns, nameserver using ips only.  Does anybody have the dns for atlanta from
> comcast, emory area.

That's an interesting question. Everything for comcast is set up via DHCP
right?

> I cant find it on the net.  And the people at comcast wont give it to me.
> Redhat is supposed to pick it up, but it didnt?

That's real interesting. Actually it just got more interesting as I checked
my smoothwall machine and it's acting as its own caching nameserver. So
I don't have the address either.

BTW the cc.gatech.edu College of Computing server will serve DNS addresses
to anyone who asks. It's what I always use when I don't know the local
address: 130.207.3.207

> Funny thing, when the comcast tech came.  At first I never even thought you
> needed a windows machine(havent installed a win machine in 2 years).  Anyway
> the guy went nuts over it.

Not only typical, but it's in your Terms of Service.

>  I said fine, just leave the modem, 'We can't do
> that, once you get windows up, we will send another guy out.'

Again the standard response.

> B.S.!, just  leave the modem, Ill figure it out, then he left.

It's unfair, but makes sense. Here's the facts of the matter:

1) The techs only have limited training.
2) The customers generally know nothing about computers and networking. Usually
   this gives the techs an advantage, until they come across one of us. ;-)
3) It costs money to train for another OS and....
4) They can lose their jobs if they leave without it being set up.

It's a tough life for us Linux folks, but in fact I and appreciate the policy
because if they did train the Techs (both rolling and phone), the cost of
service goes up.

On the phone I always tell 1st level tech support that's it's a Windows 2000
box. I patiently explain that it's the cable modem, not my machine. If I
get to second level I ask "Do you want to hear the truth?". Usually they do,
but they don't flip out. I ask them what they are looking for and translate.

I still find it interesting that no DNS info comes through...

BAJ