[ale] Comcast linux...

aaron aaron at pd.org
Mon Jan 5 19:19:32 EST 2004

The Comcast connection at my home near Emory is using:

204.127.202.19
and (secondary)
216.148.227.79

Comcast just added their High Speed Internet service to my area in the fall
and I jumped on the intro deal. I've been using it for a few months now and
am, overall, liking it a lot. It's so refreshing to actually get the
bandwidth I'm paying for after 3 years of misery trying to keep marginal DSL
byte counts flowing through major bogosity on the Bell South lines (which
they persistently refused to fix despite my proving unusual line failures
through 3 different service providers.)

<evil_grin>
Also worth noting here that I made the Comcast tech setup/initialize the cable
modem with my Linux system using Opera 6.11
 </evil_grin>.
We did end up making a call to the installation support techs, but quickly had
everything working once we knew adjusted browser preferences to allow all
cookies, allow referred cookies, and accept PROXY servers (the last being the
point that wasn't so obvious).

Only a couple of side comments:
-- It would be nice if there were some choices in service providers when using
the cable TV wires; I prefer using providers that acknowledged Linux support
and was better able to do that with DSL. Though I've no doubt that the cable
monopoly conglomerate du jour will be raping us eventually, for now the
service is respectable and competitive in both price and performance.
-- Comcast's web based account controls and access have worked fine with my
preferred Linux / Opera combo, et al, (unlike BellSouth's insanely ignorant
"you are not being Exploited" web page access browser lock outs). I can still
make a couple small complaints, though, since there are WAY too many advert
assaults on the Comcast log in page and that I had to write them a couple
emails to get them to turn off their own automated spam adverts because the
web controls don't let you do that.

HTH
peace
aaron

On Monday 05 January 2004 18:20, Berlin Brown wrote:
> I almost have my comcast cable modem setup.  I think I just need a primary
dns, nameserver using ips only.  Does anybody have the dns for atlanta from
comcast, emory area.

> I cant find it on the net.  And the people at comcast wont give it to me.
Redhat is supposed to pick it up, but it didnt?

> Funny thing, when the comcast tech came.  At first I never even thought you
needed a windows machine(havent installed a win machine in 2 years).  Anyway
the guy went nuts over it.  I said fine, just leave the modem, 'We can't do
that, once you get windows up, we will send another guy out.'  B.S.!, just
leave the modem, Ill figure it out, then he left.