[ale] New backup plan 2004

Greg Freemyer freemyer-ml at NorcrossGroup.com
Mon Jan 5 17:53:20 EST 2004

On Mon, 2004-01-05 at 13:59, Michael E. Barker wrote:
> I've decided to upgrade my backup plan for the new year and I'm looking
> for some examples, especially from users of rsync.  Also I would like to
> know if anyone has done anything to back up a w2k workstation with
> rsync, such as can be done with ghost.

I don't think you can use rsync to keep older versions of a file.  So if
you are only concerned with disk crashes, it is useful.

If you want to be able to retrieve a file based on date, I think it is
useless.

If you like the rsync concept, you should look into rdiff-backup.

It uses rsync like checksums to track changes and transfer them.  It
also keeps a delta files.

So you can tell rdiff-backup, I want a file as it was as of the Tuesday
backup, and it will get it for you.

Historically, rdiff-backup did a poor job with Win2k, but just today
someone posted that they have it working.  Not sure how good/bad a job
it is doing.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer