[ale] OT: Re: posting to Linux mail list

walter Sams wsams at southernlink.net
Fri Jan 2 06:53:58 EST 2004

I have another reason people upgrade, older equipment fails.  You go out
and buy new equipment (computers) and oops, the os is newer than what
you have in the rest of your office, your older software doesnt work
right on the new machine.  then new machine is faster which you like so
billy goats laughs all the way to the bank.  This scenario is exactly
why I am now a linux user.  I was looking at having to upgrade the os in
6 machines, office 2000 in 7 machines, upgrade a fax program, and
upgrade the accounting program.  All of the new upgrades came with the
new type licensing where it is done online and you cannot install on
more than one computer, all of the new software came with new
requirements for support packages also done online.

I have talked to people using linux accounting programs who have been
using the same program for 20 years and are able to avoid the equipment
upgrade circus because they have found it unnecessary.

If you run windows stuff you will have to upgrade.

 I also managed to lose one of my program disks for office and was
having trouble with the networking of outlook, when I tried using other
program disks from a tech support person it wouldnt load, something
about not correct version. after several hours of tech time trying to
correct the problem, I was left with buying 7 copies of office.

Enter OpenOffice  end of story

Thank you
Walter Sams