[ale] OT: Re: posting to Linux mail list

Larry Richardson larryr2 at bellsouth.net
Thu Jan 1 09:10:24 EST 2004

>>> perltk
>>

>> I went to http://www.pconline.com/~erc/perltk.htm and saw all of the
>> stuff for a simple window.  Jeepers.  Too much code for a simple
>> window.  What is needed for developers is a simple window object that
>> does not need all of this code - like VB. With simple pull down boxes
>> on an IDE that will add a menubar and it's contents.  A dev
>> environment that is simple and elegant like the language.  Better
>> than VB.  Comes with libs that run on all hardware and OS's and is
>> perpetually backward compatible (must be part of mission statement or
>> something like Debian's structure).  Something simple and elegant
>> that can be taught to high schoolers.  Makes gui's easily and
>> effortlessly.  Able to connect to db's with a single click.  Controls
>> access and secure.  Comes with stuff pre-done for often used code
>> purposes like input validation, db connection, etc...  Updateable
>> like apt-get.  Free like linux (not BSD) to keep corporations from
>> horning in too much.  Powerful IDE like Visual Studio.  Can take any
>> compiler you give it a path to and run it against any code you wrote
>> in the IDE like TextPad or plugins for Visual Studio or Eclipse (?).
>> Whether the MS CLR, perl, python, C, C++, whatever you got.
>>
>> Yes, this would be a killer app.
>

> Ah, you want the Holy Grail. :)  Seriously, there are IDE's out ther for
> perl and other languages that do a lot of what you want, just none that
> do it all.
>
> Personally, I've never found an IDE that would give me 100% of what I
> wanted.  Either I'd get 80% and then have to hack the code to get the
> other 20%, or I'd have to settle for the 80%.

Anyone else using glade to write Linux apps using GTK widgets?  At least
glade will keep you from having to worry too much about positioning
widgets, you just need to fill in the callbacks.

I agree that current scripting methods to create window GUI's on Linux
(tk comes to mind) aren't easily usable.

I would like to find a better integrated IDE for Linux and C and/or C++.
  Anyone out there with experience using another GUI builder/code
generator for Linux?