[ale] OT - ViewSoniic A90f+ Monitor

zeb n4zm at mindspring.com
Thu Feb 26 22:43:21 EST 2004

On Thursday 26 February 2004 02:30 pm, Nathan J. Underwood wrote:
> Ok, so I upgraded my old 17" Optiquest Q72 (around 5 years old)
> with a new 19" ViewSonic UltraBrite A90f+ monitor (moved the 17" to
> my Linux box, got it running dual head with my Matrox G400 Pro
> :-D).  Primarily because I got used to 16x12, and my 17" Optiquest
> just wouldn't do it. Well, it (the A90f+) will do 1600x1200 with a
> refresh rate of 120Hz, but it just seems 'fuzzy'.  Now, it's
> running on a (gasp) Windows XP Pro box, and I've got an ATI Radeon
> 8500 Pro 128MB video card (that seemed to provide a nice crisp
> picture to the old 17" monitor).  I've gone through the settings,
> and tried to tweak it, but it's still just, well, kindof fuzzy.  It
> would probably be hard to notice to the casual user, but I have to
> stare at it for extended periods of time, and it's a problem.  Any
> of you have any suggestions?  Did I get a lemon?  I've tried
> ViewSonic's support (e-mail), but haven't gotten anything back from
> them yet.
>
> nathan

A long, long time ago, in a land far away....I used to fool with
television sets.  They had vacuum tubes and other interesting
things--like resistors and capacitors.  One of the interesting things
they had was a "focus control".  Turning it this way and that way
made the picture sharper.  Because monitors use CRTs just like TV
sets do, I suspect there must be some way to change the focus.  I
would specifically ask the Viewsonic people about this.  I don't
believe they can manufacture every unit with a perfect focus.  Please
let us know the solution to this problem.

Good luck, Zeb