[ale] how to create user with no password

Armsby John-G16665 John.Armsby at motorola.com
Thu Feb 26 16:51:25 EST 2004

Actually they are using Openssh in conjunction with this account.  I got the OpenSSH to work but struggled with the account.  Funning thing the shell script they gave me worked flawlessly on Red Hat 8. but balked on RedHat 9.  I did notice that the account the script created had a korn shell as the default.  I had to change to /bin/sh (arbitrary decision)  before it worked.  I used the GUI's to set no login.  It could be that the root cause was the determination of the login shell and in Red Hat 8 I let the Korn Shell into the box during the installation.  I guess the root cause is I am not anticipating corporate needs and they are not anticipating what  I am up to.  Linux is bleeding edge here and there does not appear to be a corporate formula for installation contents. The user creates a box which may match/mismatch the rest of IT.  I am looking for that corporate "standard" but have not located it.  Maybe there is not one as yet.