[ale] DHCP and M$

Alan Dobkin ALE at OmniComp.Org
Wed Feb 25 14:09:34 EST 2004

Here's a solution for you to try:

Since you mentioned WinXP specifically, it has a feature called
"Repair" in the network  control panel, which is basically the
same thing as an ipconfig /release && ipconfig /renew.  One
difference is that it works for regular (non-admin) users.

So, the solution is to enable the checkbox that says "Show
icon in notification area when connected" for your network
card, which will put the icon in the systray.  Then your
users can simply right-click on it and select "Repair".

Alan

--On Wednesday, February 25, 2004 12:14 PM -0500 James Kinney