[ale] DHCP and M$

Mike Murphy mike at tyderia.net
Wed Feb 25 12:46:03 EST 2004

I went and plumbed the MS knowledgebase and reread the RFC (2131). Its
been a *LONG* time since I had to admin a DHCP server. Here's what I found:

 From MS: If the client has previously had a DHCP assigned IP address
and it is restarted, the client will specifically request the previously
leased IP address in a special DHCPREQUEST packet. The Source address is
0.0.0.0 and the Destination is the broadcast address 255.255.255.255.
Microsoft clients will populate the DHCP Option Field DHCP: Requested
Address with the previously assigned address. Strictly RFC compliant
clients will populate the CIADDR Field with the address requested. The
Microsoft DHCP server will accept either.

So, the client should be asking again for a new address at boot time,
and the DHCP server on the other end should be looking at it and saying
"well, that address isn't valid now, so please ask for a new one." If
the server decides that that address is ok, it can either acknowledge
the request, or just clam up.

So, even if the client had a lease that wasn't due to expire, the act of
rebooting should cause a new request. I suspect that it is, but the DHCP
server on the other end is either acknowledging the reqest, or not
saying anything, so the windows client is going ahead and using the old
one. This would indicate a misconfiguration of the DHCP server (not
necessarily the one giving out the original request with the very long
leases, but the one not telling the client when it asks that the address
it has isn't a good one anymore). Maybe the DHCP server has some bad LAN
definitions or subnet masks, etc. somewhere?

of course, if you don't reboot, all bets are off.

One suggestion, if the DHCP server can't be fixed, is to put the
ipconfig /releasee and ipconfig /renew commands in a .bat file that the
users can run. Label it "double click me to connect to network" or
something.

Mike

--

Mike Murphy