[ale] Best book for the Linux newcomer?

tfreeman at intel.digichem.net tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Wed Feb 25 11:56:43 EST 2004

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004, Geoffrey wrote:

> tfreeman at intel.digichem.net wrote:
> > He might like to look into Marcel Gagne (sp??) latest book w/ cd.
>
> If it's anything like his articles in LJ, I couldn't stand it.  I get
> really tired with the french restaurant twist he puts on things.  It's
> gotten old quick.

Well, the Frech restaurant twist isn't in the book, but the same largely
chatty personality is. For some people, I think the book could be largely
painless intro to Linux as a desktop operation. For other people...

For me, since the personality doesn't grate badly, I found some usefull
stuff even though I've been using Linux exclusively for years now. The
included Knoppix CD also felt worth pretty close to the cost of admission.

The book isn't for everybody, and may irritate some individuals it is for.
I beleive it to be one useful introduction to Linux however. YMMV