[ale] Linux Security article

J.M. Taylor jtaylor at onlinea.com
Fri Feb 20 13:40:06 EST 2004

This is a succinct article about the value of transparency in Open Source
that may help.

http://www.devx.com/opensource/Article/20135?trk=DXRSS_WEBDEV

It's not a stunning piece of writing, but it sums up the most common
arguments nicely.

I found the next link very interesting about the need for transparency
(not necessarily open source, which is a phrase that tends to produce knee-jerk
reactions) in complex software.  This really, really struck a chord with
me as a programmer, but if you go on to the next page the author sums up
nicely why it is important to have transparency as opposed to the head-down-and-growling
possessiveness of Microsoft and others.  I don't think it will help your
linux-security-open source argument, but it is a different perspective on
something that's not quite so hot-button.
 http://www.faqs.org/docs/artu/ch16s01.htm

happy reading
jenn

--