[ale] SSHD reports version info!?

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Thu Feb 19 14:19:32 EST 2004

On Thu, Feb 19, 2004 at 02:08:29PM -0500, matty91 at bellsouth.net wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Feb 2004, Michael H. Warfield wrote:

> > On Thu, Feb 19, 2004 at 02:39:42AM -0500, Kevin Krumwiede wrote:
> > > (I posted this to the debian-user list but it never showed up.)
> >
> > > When I telnet to port 22 on my 3.0r2 server, I see this:
> >
> > > SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_3.4p1 Debian 1:3.4p1-1.woody.3
> >
> > > Isn't that considered sensitive information?  Why advertise it so
> > > blatantly?  Is there any way turn this banner off?
> >
> > 	Not really.  If you didn't, an attack can just throw a broad
> > spectrum attack at you, no gain.  Someone scanning would spot you and
> > just assume that you are obfuscating the information because you're too
> > lazy to keep your software up to date and flag you for that extra special
> > attention they like to provide from time to time, just after an exploit
> > release.

> I am not so sure I agree with this. Most of the script kiddie utilities
> do pattern matching based on banner information. While this doesn't
> protect you from someone with a clue, it would help you deflect
> attacks from the ppl d/l'ing sploits on the web.

	Not a prayer.  Some do pattern matching and some will kick out
"unusual" matches for, errr, deeper analysis.  The worms tend to be
extremely simplistic.  Don't assume that of the attackers.

> > 	No you can not turn it off and, even if you could, you would then
> > break ssh.  That information is not there merely for you edification.
> > It's there to tell the client what protocols to speak.  There are
> > several different dialects and the client needs to know what it's talking
> > to inorder to negotiate the protocols properly.  It's the openning offer
> > in the protocol.

> Well, OpenBSD/FreeBSD have the "VersionAddendum" option. My friend
> configures his Openssh server to report:

> VersionAddendum Windows 2000 Professional Server

	Yeah, I think that just affects the mutable portion and leaves
the protocol portion alone.  You still can't just "turn it off" and it's
still going to identify the version of OpenSSH.