[ale] OT: Running computers in an older home (read older circuitry)

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Thu Feb 19 13:47:45 EST 2004

Greg Freemyer wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-02-19 at 13:02, Geoffrey wrote:
>
>>Greg Freemyer wrote:
>>

>>>I would replace all of your 2-prong outlets with 3-prong throughout the
>>>house..  Then connect your neutral wire (should be white) to both the
>>>neutral and the ground prongs.
>>
>>I don't believe this would be to code.
>

> I doubt it too, but I seriously doubt if his current 2-wire setup is
> code either.
>
> To meet code he will propably need to run new 3 conductor wire in the
> walls.  That will be "very" expensive.
>
> I think what I proposed is a better/safer solution than what he has, and
> does not have the large cost of meeting code.

I'll not go into the issues of safety here, but your approach just is
not feasible.  Most older homes wiring is subject to grandfathering
rules, whereas if you modify it in the way you've suggested, it's likely
going to void your homeowners insurance in the event of a fire.

I'd leave well enough alone for the existing wiring, and run a couple of
new 3 conductor curcuits to the home office.