[ale] OT: Running computers in an older home (read older circuitry)

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Thu Feb 19 13:02:27 EST 2004

Greg Freemyer wrote:

> I would replace all of your 2-prong outlets with 3-prong throughout the
> house..  Then connect your neutral wire (should be white) to both the
> neutral and the ground prongs.

I don't believe this would be to code. Besides, there's a reason for
running three wires, otherwise you can bet builders would cut the same
corner you've suggested.

I'd have an electician check out the existing wiring.  I'd also install
two new circuits for the home office myself, then have it inspected.
It's pretty straight forward and it'll save you a ton of cash.  Check
the local laws though, they may require the wiring to be done by a
licensed electician.  That's not the case here in GA.