[ale] Kernel comparison: Web serving on 2.4 and 2.6

James Kinney jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Fri Feb 13 15:11:32 EST 2004

> Slackware has said, since either 9.0 or 9.1, that it is "2.6 ready" (but
> ships with a 2.4)
>
> That said, I just reinstalled my desktop and compiled me up a 2.6 kernel,
> and actually had fewer boot errors than with the original ;o  Everything
> running fine, but then it's a desktop not a number cruncher or a server.

I've been running 2.6 on a RedHat 3WS for about 2 weeks now. I used the
default config file from the original RedHat kernel to "seed" the build
and did a make oldconfig, answered <M> to everything I could, Upgraded all
the required kernel support packages, compiled and it is running OK. Some
funky USB stuff (may be hardware related as my optical mouse seems to
loose power) and my mouse is no longer seen as having a wheel (Arrgghh!
I'm hooked on the wheel!).

I have not put the 2.6 kernel through any real stress testing yet. Purely
subjetive, but it feels zippier than 2.4

--
James P. Kinney III
CEO & Director of Engineering

http://www.localnetsolutions.com