[ale] SuSe and Scrollwheel

Joe Knapka jknapka at kneuro.net
Wed Feb 11 12:55:12 EST 2004

Geoffrey <esoteric at 3times25.net> writes:

> Dow Hurst wrote:
> > The problem at this point with the 7 buttons is that the XFree mouse
> > driver doesn't handle that many buttons correctly by default and is
> > just assigning the signal to the same event.
>
> I've got to kinda wonder what in the world one would need so many
> buttons on a mouse for.  I'm waiting for the first qwerty mouse...

With seven buttons, you have an obvious encoding for 7-bit ASCII text
(assuming the machine can handle multiple simultaneous button
presses). Get good at it, I bet you could type faster on that mouse
than a middling typist on a QUERTY keyboard. Add some gestural
interpretation and you could get all the functionality of keyboard,
mouse, and drawing pad in a single convenient input device!

-- Joe Knapka

> --
> Until later, Geoffrey                     Registered Linux User #108567
> Building secure systems inspite of Microsoft

I'm gonna do everything / silver and gold / but I got to
hurry up before I grow to old. -- Joe Strummer, 1952 -- 2002
If you really want to get my attention, send mail to
"jknapka .at. kneuro .dot. net."