[ale] Philosophical question

J.M. Taylor jtaylor at onlinea.com
Tue Feb 10 09:53:09 EST 2004

Jerald,

It really depends on what you want, you know?  If you live and breathe
unix and go home and do *nixy things for fun and really need to run the
show, you might find yourself really unhappy and looking soon despite the
money.

If you're comfortable working with the admins of the boxen (have you met
them? Are they reasonable?) and confining your urges to be r00t to your
home life, then you might be perfectly happy herding applications.

Just IMHO, right now the stability of the employment is more important
than the cash being thrown at you, since jobs still aren't growing on
trees.

I just took a somewhat junior level applications development position
that ostensibly has no sys admin involved, after years of being
sys/network admin and lead developer.  It was a hard adjustment at first,
in a new environment that I didn't set up and know inside out, with other
people calling the shots.  Now I have begun to really enjoy being able to work
quietly and productively without a zillion emergencies, and being able to
put that work down at 5pm and go home to a life. I might even get to
take a vacation next year, which is something that I could never do as
an admin.  And I work closely with the sys admins who are happy to have a
developer who really cares about security and application performance.
So, sometimes it works out, but it's not easy to give up that control.

Good luck with it.

jenn

--
Jenn Taylor