[ale] XFree Problems

Kevin O'Neill Stoll kevinostoll at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 10 07:58:35 EST 2004

Thanks all for the feedback. Installing the driver for the
nvidia card did.

As part of the installation, they instruct you to make some
minor edits to the config, such as taking out the lines
that load modules for dri and GLcore. Like Michael, not
that I know what those are but ....

Anyway, that plus loading the module and verifying the
alias in modules.conf did it.

Thanks all for the help, especially J Glass :)

--- "Michael D. Hirsch" <mhirsch at nubridges.com> wrote:
> On Saturday 07 February 2004 04:17 pm, Cory T. Echols
> wrote:
> > On 02/07, Kevin O'Neill Stoll wrote:
> > <snip>
> >
> > > If I let the bootstrap run though runlevel 5, I get
> no display at all.
> > > I changed to runlevel 3 from grub, logged in and then
> issued startx,
> > > it worked! So I figure, what the hey now let's try to
> go from boot
> > > straight through to X windows, no luck...
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > If startx works, I'd rule out an X configuration
> problem.  The next
> > candidate is gdm -- the gnome display manager.  It's
> logs should be in
> > /var/log/gdm.  Perhaps there's a helpful error message
> in there.
>
> Right.  and you can see some kind of error in the xlog
> you suplied:
> > (II) Mouse0: ps2EnableDataReporting: succeeded
> > AUDIT: Tue Feb  3 18:32:27 2004: 3572 X: client 4
> rejected from localhost
>
> I don't know what that means, however.
>
> Michael

=====