[ale] HP NetServer Lxr Pro and Red Hat 9

Jonathan Glass jonathan.glass at ibb.gatech.edu
Mon Feb 9 09:54:57 EST 2004

John Wells wrote:

>I have an old dual 200mhz HP Netserver I'm trying to get Red Hat 9 installed on.  It has a HP Netraid array configured as Raid 5.
>
>ISOLINUX boots up, but not matter what install option I choose, after it decompresses the images it freezes with a black screen and a blinking white - in the upper left hand corner.
>
>I'm betting I'm missing some boot option here, but can't figure it out.  Knoppix boots up fine.
>
>Anyone done an install on one of these?  Can you point me in the right direction?
>
>Thanks guys.
>
>John

I'm sure you already thought of this, but have you verified that the CD
is not corrupt?  I had the exact same behavior with a corrupt CD.  It
would start to boot, then hang.  No pretty errors, just stop running.

Another thing I've seen has to do with memory.  HOw much RAM do you have
in the box?  It's been awhile, but I have seen installers freak out when
there is too much or too little RAM in a box.  Check the MEM= option for
the kernel.

HTH

Jonathan Glass