[ale] LSB, c++

Bjorn Dittmer-Roche bjorn at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Thu Feb 5 13:07:58 EST 2004

Yo ALErs,

	Now that I am back on the list (WooHoo!) I get to ask questions
again. Since goole was being none too helpful, here goes:

I am using Debian unstable. I apt-got all packages related to LSB
development. In my LSB environment[1], I managed to get some simple C code
to compile after removing some locale specific code such as isadigit. The
c++ code is another matter entirely. I'm not even clear if c++ is supposed
to be supported in LSB 1.3, since there is a package for it on the LSB
website, but some mailiong lists say it's broken. Perhaps debian doesn't
support it?  (/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-linux/3.2.3/libstdc++.so is a broken
link in my LSB environment) Here are some sample error messages I get
when I try to compile:

/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-linux/3.2.3/libstdc++.a(ctype_members.o)(.text._ZNKSt5ctypeIwE5do_isEtw+0x1e):
In function `std::ctype<wchar_t>::do_is(unsigned short, wchar_t) const':
: undefined reference to `__iswctype_l'
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-linux/3.2.3/libstdc++.a(ctype_members.o)(.text._ZNKSt5ctypeIwE8do_widenEc+0x13):
In function `std::ctype<wchar_t>::do_widen(char) const':
: undefined reference to `__uselocale'

These appear to be locale-specific errors as well.

Thanks for any help/suggestions,

	bjorn

[1] basically, the way this works is all libraries and so on that are part
of the linux standard base are accessible in a chroot'ed environment that
you can log on to and compile and test your code. it's a pretty nifty
idea.