[ale] Sound problem. Kscd?

zeb n4zm at mindspring.com
Thu Feb 5 00:23:52 EST 2004

I am trying to add sound to my system

I am running Slackware 9.1 with the default KDE.

On the first try of Kscd, the icon appears and the legend indicates
that it is playing a track.  There is no sound because I haven't
installed the Alsa drivers.  If I make a second attempt, the icon
doesn't appear.  The little bitty icon pops up and then vanishes.

Reinstall Slack.  Install the Alsa drivers for aureal 8820.  Get
system s0unds.  Play a sound track attached to an e-mail.  Kscd
apparently aborts.  Look in /var/log/syslog:  "illegal request"
reported from sr0.

Reinstall Slack.  Install Alsa drivers for ens1370 (SB PCI 124).
Exactly same results.

Following the Alsa installation procedures as outlined at their URL.
Also trying the Alsa installation detailed at opensrc.  Also tried
the installation procedures outlined at SlacKfAQ.  The best I can bet
are system sounds.  KSCD aborts with "illegal request" or sometimes
"Invalid command".

I have done extensive googling and not found any answers.

Has anyone else had this problem?  Has anyone found a fix?

Thanks, Zeb