[OT] [ale] Diebold may face criminal charges

aaron aaron at pd.org
Thu Apr 29 16:03:14 EDT 2004

On Thursday 29 April 2004 17:17, Charles Shapiro wrote:
> Ho hum. Cathy ("advancing the e-government revolution") Cox is their
> friend. They can do no wrong in Georgia.
>
> -- CHS

Legal actions addressing Diebold's election law violations don't necessarily
have to originate with the Secretary of State's office. Especially when the
SoS is named in the complaints.

The thing I find most nauseating in all this is that the original RFP adopted
by the Georgia Assembly required the touch screen voting devices to provide
Voter Verified Ballot Printouts. Several representatives from the election
systems committee with whom our Voter Choice coalition has spoken have
confirmed that they expected the systems to include the ballot printers we've
been having to fight for ever since. The committee records show that even
Cathy Cox promised that paper ballot printouts would be part of the systems,
at least until she pulled a last minute bait and switch maneuver for the
Diebold carpetbaggers, using fabricated "certification" issues as the excuse.

The final kicker is that Diebold took 54 million dollars from Georgia (under a
secret contract which, in violation of State open records laws, has never
been made available for public inspection) based on the uncertain gamble that
the money would eventually be paid through our Federal taxes under the Help
America Vote Act. Though HAVA was indeed passed by Congress and signed into
law by Bush a few months later [Oct., 2002],  his regime has yet to allocate
anything resembling adequate funding for its provisions and only a fraction
of the HAVA voting machine funding has trickled into Georgia. More to the
point, the voting machines must meet the HAVA specifications to legally
qualify for the Federal tax reimbursements, and the HAVA voting system
specifications very clearly mandate a Voter Verified Paper Audit Trail.

If the Governor doesn't act immediately to upgrade Georgia's Diebold systems
so that they provide the HAVA required paper audit trail, then the State's
tax payers will get stuck for the whole $54 million dollar carpetbagger
contract (not that having these criminals take our Federal taxes changes
where the money comes from all that much).

That's why I was suggesting that it's a REALLY good time to inundate Georgia
Governor Sonny Perdue with LETTERS, FAXES and PHONE CALLS urging him to put
the critical VVPAT Voting System Upgrade legislation of SB500 onto the
Special Session calendar. After all, Cathy Cox is technically his
subordinate.

The Honorable Sonny Perdue
Governor, State of Georgia
203 State Capitol